Professor S. L. James
BSc (University of Bristol), 1989
PhD (University of Bristol), 1992
Chair of Inorganic Chemistry
Tel: + 44 (0) 28 9097 5419
Fax: + 44 (0) 28 9097 6524
Solvent-free synthesis by mechanochemistry:
1. High reactivity of metal-organic frameworks under grinding conditions: Parallels with organic molecular materials, W. Yuan, T. Friscic, D. Apperley and S.L. James Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2010, 49, 3916
2. An array-based study of reactivity under solvent-free mechanochemical conditions-insights and trends, A. Pichon and S.L. James, CrystEngComm 2008, 10, 1839
4. Fast, quantitative nucleoside protection under solvent-free conditions, N. Giri, C. Bowen, J.S. Vyle and S.L. James
Green Chemistry 2008, 10, 627.
5. Solvent-free synthesis of metal complexes A. Lazuen Garay, A. Pichon and S.L. James
Chemical Society Reviews 2007, 36, 846
Porous liquids (and porous solids):
1. Porous Liquids, N. O'Reilly, N. Giri and S. L. James
Chemistry – A European Journal 2007, 13, 3020-3025.
Featured in Chemistry World
2. Chemoenzymatic synthesis of chiral 4,4'-bipyridyls and their metal organic frameworks, L. Sbircea, N. D. Sharma, W. Clegg, R. W. Harrington, P.N. Horton, M.B. Hursthouse, D.C. Apperley, D.R. Boyd and S.L. James,
Chem. Commun., 2008, 5539-5541
3. A metal-organic gel used as a template for a porous organic polymer, Q. Wei and S. L. James, Chemical Communications, 2005, 1555 (Hot paper).
Featured in Materials Research Bulletin, April 2005, 30, 265 and Chemistry World.
4. A nanoporous metal-organic framework based on bulky phosphine ligands, X. Xu, M. Nieuwenhuyzen and S.L. James, Angewandte Chemie, Int. Ed., 2002, 41, 764. Featured in Chemical and Engineering News, 2002, vol. 80, issue 9, p.35.
1. A metal complex that imitates a micelle, N. Giri and S.L. James Chemical Communications 2011, 47, 245
2. Imitating micelles as a way to control coordination self-assembly: cage-polymer switching directed rationally by solvent polarity or pH, N. Giri and S.L. James Chemical Communications 2011, 47, 1458 (Hot Paper).
3. Review: Phosphines as building blocks in coordination based self-assembly, S.L. James Chem. Soc. Rev. 2009, 38, 1744.